“Om Tara tuttare ture svaha”
Green Tara is an embodiment of the Mother energy. She loves us so much that she has declared that she will remain in the Universe until all sentient beings have attained freedom. Green Tara brings Enlightenment, first for the individual, then for all.
There are many stories about the origins of Green Tara. Some trace her back for eons to other world systems; other stories go back to the Hindu Goddesses Durga and Kali. Tibetans say she was born from a tear of Avalokateshwara who cried tears of compassion when he saw the terrible suffering of beings trapped in the lower realms. The present manifestation of Green Tara appeared strongly in Buddhism in about the 7th century CE.
In the 11th century CE, the great Indian master Atisha went to Tibet, where he spread the Green Tara teachings. His disciple Drontampa founded the Kadampa school of Tibetan Buddhism from which the Dalai Lama lineage was born.
Tara Grants Wishes
Tara grants people their deepest heart-felt desires. These wishes are fulfilled very quickly when they arise out of fervent devotion and are for the benefit of others. Beings have been invoking Tara throughout the ages. The immense accrued power of all those blessings comes through to anyone chanting the mantra with loving devotion today.
She also allays fears, especially fears arising from eight internal sources of doubt, pride, envy, lust, wrong views, avarice, anger, and ignorance. Fears can be alleviated by simply by chanting her 21 praises, or even the shorter ten syllable heart mantra above.
It’s especially important to chant her mantra when your mind is troubled. If you’re worried about an issue, or upset about a problem in your life, chant the mantra while feeling your emotions. They will soon shift. After your emotions calm, the answer you need may appear. Or your problem may lose significance.
21 Aspects of Tara
There are 21 different facets of Tara. All 21 can be invoked by chanting the heart mantra. The 21 different aspects each has its own mantra, color and thanka. Each form of Tara represents a different energy that addresses a specific problem set.
The most widely used aspects are listed below.
Green Tara brings Enlightenment. “Om Tara tuttare ture svaha.”
Yellow (Gold) Tara brings prosperity. “Om Tara tuttare ture pushtim kuru svaha.”
Black Tara is power. “Om tara tuttare maha poodaya bhasmim kuru svaha.”
White Tara is healing, longevityy, healthy lifestyle. “Om Tara tuttre ture mama ayuh punyajnana pushtu kuru svaha.”
Red Tara magnetizes good things, brings protection from harm. “Om Tare tuttare santa ra hri svaha.”
Invoking Tara’s Blessing
You will need to receive an initiation into the Tara energy to be able to fully use her power. These empowerments are usually given by qualified Tibetan Lamas around holidays like New Year, on May 5th Buddha’s birthday, or whenever great masters visit local centers.
A general outline for formally invoking Tara is:
- Prepare a thanka, mandala, picture or statue of Tara. If desired, you can use incense, candles, fruit, water, flowers or other offerings and music.
- Begin chanting “Om Tara tutare ture soha.”
- Visualize your representation of Tara becoming brilliant, living energy in front of you.
- From the heart center of Tara, see a brilliant light shining into yourself and all sentient beings. This radiant light transforms your body of flesh into an orb or mass of light.
- Then dissolve all physical matter into Emptiness, leaving only clear, radiant light and empty space. All things become possible in this state. You are in the pure realm of Tara –the turquoise realm.
- Next see a lotus appear. On the lotus the letters AH appear and change into a moon disc. On the disc a blue HUM appears. A radiant light shines out of HUM, filling the universe and purifying all beings of their sins and desires.
- The radiant light also becomes an offering to the Enlightened beings. They send it back multiplied in power so that it transforms you into Tara. You become Tara.
- From your hear center, and from the heart center of the living Tara in front of you, a brilliant light radiates out to all the countless Buddha Realms, striking trillions of Enlightened beings.
- All Enlightened beings shower you with blessings, granting your heart’s desire.
10. See the brilliant light shining out of Tara transform the entire physical universe into the realm of Enlightened beings, like in a dream.
11. Rest in this space.
This is an abbreviated form of Tara puja. You can find a more complete form at Green Tara Practice.